Thursday, January 6, 2011

Baba Ganooj part duex!

 Eggplants (aubergines) pierced with a fork and roasted on the grill!
 All dressed up and ready to eat! Serve with warm Lavosh or pita!
This is simply eggplant dip from the Middle East. It is ever so yummy! I serve this with warmed Lavosh (Lebanese flat bread) or pita bread. There is no dairy or meat in this so it is great for Vegans. I love it because it taste fabulous! It is very simple to make.
Dip:
3 large eggplant- stab with a fork several times grilled until completely tender.
1/2 cup tahina- ground sesame paste- you can get at Kroger (by the olives or in health food section)
1 bunch of flat leaf parsley (1/3 amount of sprigs)
1 bunch of fresh mint (1/3 amount of sprigs)
2 cloves of garlic
3 lemons - juiced
salt and pepper
6 pited and minced Kalamata olives
**Sumac (non poisioness spice powder) to sprinkle on top- I finally found this locally at Creation Gardens, but you can Google this....You can find anything on the net!**
Place all eggplants in a 400 degree oven on a sheet pan or on your grill. Let them cook until they soften and fall in on themselves about 45- 1 hour. Get your food processor out- add garlic and washed parsley and mint and let her rip. Should be minced fine. Add tahina 1/4 cup water, lemon juice and give it a whirl. All of this should be whipped together. Add the meat of the eggplant to the food processor. I try to remove as much of the seed as I can, but I am neurotic about food prep. You guessed it blend again. Know taste it. It will probably need salt and possibly more lemon juice.
I take a plate and put a large amount in the middle. I use a spoon to swirl this to the edges. I top with some fresh minced parsley and mint. I sprinkle Sumac (optional) on top. On each side I added minced Kalamata olives. I also swirl olive oil on top. This is all about presentation. You can great wow factor for little work! Enjoy! Remember you can ROCK THAT PLATE!

No comments: