Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Parathas!


This is your Paratha dough. You just combine 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour with 1/2 cups of All Purpose flour. You add water until you can form a dough. I use my hand to form this dough.

2 potatoes peeled and diced. I boil them until tender. I add 1/2 cup of frozen peas and two tablespoons of minced cilantro. I smash it all together.

Roll a 1/4 cup size piece of dough in your hands until completely smooth. Use a rolling pin to flatten it. You must continuously turn the dough to maintain a round shape.

Place a two tablespoon size ball of you potato mixture in the center. Pinch the dough together at the top. Gently roll the dough flat. Try not to squish the filling out.

In a dry cast iron pan brown your bread on both sides. I usually brush them with light vegetable oil. It keeps them moist.

Here we go:
Dough-
1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of All Purpose flour
1 tablespoon of kosher salt
water
Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add water in gradually. The amount of water varies. Use your hand in a claw shape and circular motion to bring the dough together.

Filling:
2 large Idaho potatoes- peeled, diced, and boiled until soft.
1/2 cup of frozen peas
2 tablespoons of fresh minced cilantro
**** You can add all kinds of spices to this mixture. I suggest you toast your spices. Cumin, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and so on. I did not because I was using them as bread and topped them with spicy chick peas and raita (yogurt sauce)****

Mix the ingredients together. I form balls of this to stuff inside the dough. See the above photos to learn how to stuff the bread and dry pan crisp them.

Here is a link to make the raita and spicy chick peas (Channa Marsala):
http://rockthatplate.blogspot.com/2011/03/spicey-chickpeas-and-golden-sultana.html
http://rockthatplate.blogspot.com/2011/01/beautiful-spice-filled-feast.html


I think most of my readers know about my love of Indian food. When I was a child.  I used to go to my friends house after school. The family was from India. I used to stand around the kitchen and watch her mom cook. I remember thinking how magnificent it was. The smells and tastes were so different from what I was used to. I always remember how much I learned from this family. I have a true passion for this cuisine. I am just a average girl from Kentucky. I am grateful that through friendship in childhood...... I developed a passion that is with me years later. Food is simply common ground. Teach anyone you know what you grew up eating. It is sad and unfortunate that some people never have this type of opportunity. Remember, you can ROCK THAT PLATE!

No comments: