Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bean Cakes!





2 cans of black eyed peas
2 scallions- small dice
1/2 cup green peppers- small dice
1 box of Jiffy corn bread mix
black pepper- to taste.
1 tablespoon of Sambal- see add below for pic.
1 egg

Drain beans and mash, but leave some variance in texture. Add 1 cup of the corn meal mix, egg, veggies, and spices. Mix well. Put in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Use a  tablespoon to create small or larger balls. Roll them in the remaining corn bread mixture. This will become like a crust or coating. Sauté in canola oil. I used a cast iron skillet. For large bean cakes they may require a 20 to 30 minute stay in a 350 degree oven. I serve these with lemon wedges.

I made bean cakes for lunch today. I made them with black eyed peas. I am Southern after all. I have eaten them before, but I think they are traditionally made with black beans. I think I will try them in a couple of ways. I might use white navy beans with fresh sage. This recipe is very quick and easy. I ate them with a leafy green salad. Remember, you can Rock That Plate!

1 comment:

Velva said...

Your bean cakes look delicious! This is a perfect healthy recipe for a light dinner or lunch. Thanks for sharing.