Thursday, October 15, 2009

Fresh baked apple pie!




4 Apples is all for a great crumb topped pie! I start this by saying--God must have told Pillsbury to make those nice pre- made pie crust.
You know the ones, do not act like you don't. They are in the refrigerated section, they are rolled up in the red box!
4 large apples- I like a honey crisp and Jonnagold combo
3 tablespoons sugar
1 lemon- zest and juiced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pre made pie crust
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cut all apples into1/8's, then slice in 2 inch cubes. Mix all ingredients well. Put into pie crust.
Crumb topping-
flour 1 cup or so
brown sugar 1/2 to 1 cup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup margarine--Note: My Doctor will not let me use anymore butter. He said I was developing Paula Deen disease!
This is a by feeling kind of thing! Dump all ingredients into bowl. I use the same one from the filling. It does not hurt. Rub mixture between your fingers until it becomes sand like. Add flour if it is to soft. Taste it- might need more brown sugar, etc.. Put crumb topping on top of pie and bake on 400 degrees until golden brown and delicious. NOTE!!: Put a pan covered with aluminum foil under pie while baking. Sugar can burn and catch on fire. I learned this the hard way one Thanksgiving! Maybe that is why smoked apple pie never caught on. And remember: You can, and I can-ROCK THAT PLATE!

No comments: