Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cheddar, garlic, and parsley biscuits!




Cheddar biscuits:
6 cups of biscuit mix
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 cup of fresh minced parsley
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
2 to 3 cups of buttermilk or regular milk and juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
2 tablespoons of regular flour - for dusting work surface and dough.
1 egg plus 1 tablespoon water ( egg wash)

I did not have buttermilk so, a good trick is to squeeze lemon juice into milk. You will have to let sit in frig for 1 or more hours. I have even left this mixture overnight, when making pancakes in the morning. This really works. The acidity almost softens the flour yielding a fluffier biscuit with more flavor.

Place biscuit mix with all spices, cheese, and parsley together and stir. Make a well in the middle and start incorporating dry to wet together. Stir until it just comes together. Place in frig to rest, for at least 1 hour.
Fire up your oven to 450 degrees. Grease a Set pan with oil, margarine or butter. Your choice. I dust my work surface with flour and turn out my dough. I pat it into the shape I desire. For savory biscuits I shape into a square. When I make morning biscuits they are round. Take a knife and cut desired shapes. Place them on pan, barely touching each other. Press your thumb in the middle of each biscuit. Brush the tops with the afore mentioned egg wash. Everyones oven cooks at different levels. This usually takes about 20 - 25 minutes. WATCH YOUR OVEN! I'm not trying to yell but, please do not let them burn. They are super yummy! They are great with dinner or a cup of homemade soup. Remember, you can Rock That Plate!

No comments: