Saturday, January 16, 2010

Spices!










Chili powder blend:
1 jar approximately 5.5 ounces garlic powder
1 jar onion powder
1 jar of ground cumin
2 jars paprika
1 jar HOT paprika
1/2 cup oregano
1/2 cup kosher salt
11/4 cup pepper

1 plastic opaque tub to put spice blend in.

If I was grilling and needed a rub for pork, etc. . I would add 1 cup of dark brown sugar to this mix! I make big batches so, I have enough to last for awhile. I use this for things like chili, tacos, rubs, etc..
 One of the best ways to use this is on skillet sweet potatoes.

3 large sweet potatoes
1/4 to 1/2 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons of your chili spice blend
1 smallish white onion- diced

I am Southern. I use a cast iron skillet when I fry potatoes. When I make skillet potatoes, I ALWAYS nuke whatever spuds I am using, the night before and leave them to rest in the frig! Heat pan with canola oil. Cuts potatoes into 2 inch cubes. throw potatoes, spice blend and onion in the pan. Cook until potatoes crisp! I love serving these with breakfast.

Let's talk about spices, herbs, and spice blends. I make my own blends. I do this because, I tailor my ingredients to our tastes.  I can control the quality of the spices. You know...How long has that BBQ rub been sitting on the shelf in the store? There are no expiration dates, that I know of, on the packaging of spices. What I can tell you is that there should be. The older the spice is it may loose flavor and essential oils. I also know that you should NOT keep spices in clear glass jars. I know, they are most often sold this way. Light can be destructive to spices and herbs. So time and light are your spice and herb mixtures enemy. After all, you either have spent your money to get them, or have spent your time growing them. I just ordered this cookbook. The one pictured below, the Herbs and Spices Cookbook! It was book, tax and shipping only$5.67 for the used version. I am obsessed with cookbooks. I'll let you know if it is any good! Remember, you can Rock That Plate!

No comments: